Welcome to Forums Sign in | Join | Help | Forums
in Search

RE and FE Integration

Last post 11-10-2008 5:09 PM by Diana Neanover. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-07-2008 12:54 PM

• Mary Sinmany
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Organization: French American International School

RE and FE Integration

Hello!

I am a new RE user, but work mainly in FE. This integration requires most of the integration to come from RE, but I'm not too familiar and learning as I go.

Does anyone have both of these systems integration successfully? If not, yourself, would you happen to know any other organization that does?

Thanks,
    Mary

• 07-07-2008 4:41 PM In reply to

• Sarah McBride
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • User Since: 2005
    • Posts 117
    • Products:  The Education Edge, The Raiser's Edge

Re: RE and FE Integration

Hi, Mary. To get started, you may want to review Knowledgebase solution BB107816: How to interface The Raiser's Edge with The Financial Edge.Once the two programs are interfaced, you can post gifts from RE to General Ledger. Just note that the workstation on which you post gifts will need to have both RE and FE installed.

Hope this helps!

Sarah McBride
  • 10-13-2008 12:54 PM In reply to

• Diana Neanover
    • Not Ranked
    • User Since: 2008
    • Posts 7
    • Organization: Wernle Children's Home
    • Products:  The Raiser's Edge

We are also trying to integrate RE and FE, but I'm not really sure where we are with it.  I was under the impression it would eliminate double entry of gifts.  Our finance department receives all money then we get copies of the checks and any material (including envelopes) that accompanies the gifts but I haven't seen any benefit of having both on our end unless we aren't doing it right or just haven't gotten that far.  I would also like to hear from anyone who has been using both successfully or even unsuccessfully.

At the moment, I need to find out how to make a gift adjustment that will correct the information in FE as well.  Does anyone know how to do that?  Or even if you don't have both systems, how do you handle adjustments so that you will balance with your Finance or Accounting Department?

Thanks,

Diana

• 10-13-2008 1:35 PM In reply to

• JoAnn Strommen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • User Since: 2006
    • Posts 2,387
    • Organization: YMCA of Rapid City

We have RE & FE intergrated.  All of our donations/gifts are entered into RE and then posted over to FE accounts (called projects) based on GL# associated with fund/appeal in RE.  I only work with RE so I can't tell you much about the process of transferring the data to FE.  We've been on RE for two years and FE for 1-1/2.  Seems to work well for us.  Every once in a while we have a glitch with a payment not transferring - shows up on reports accounting has from doing the data transfer.  With both programs, double entry is not really efficient use of time.

As to gift adjustment, I believe it will need to be adjusted in both RE and FE if you're not running 'integrated'.  (Gift adjustment is on gift record >>Gift tab>>adjust.)  Adjustment gift options for GL posting adjustment date.  If integrated, the accounting/business office will need to run data transfer again to get adjustment if it's for past date.

JoAnn Strommen
    YMCA of Rapid City
    Rapid City, SD
  • 10-13-2008 3:01 PM In reply to

• Diana Neanover
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7

We are integrated so are you saying I should check the box marked "posted" instead of "not posted" then when they run their "post" for the week, the adjustment will change GL (FE) numbers to match RE without them having to make a manual adjustment to GL?  Is there anything else I need to do on the "adjustment" tab to make that adjustment go through to FE without manual entry?

• 10-13-2008 4:49 PM In reply to

• Sarah McBride
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • User Since: 2005
    • Posts 117
    • Products:  The Education Edge, The Raiser's Edge

Hi, Diana. You might want to take a look at BB4698: How to adjust a gift or edit an adjusted gift (posted or not posted). Hope that helps!

Sarah McBride
    Filed under:
  • 10-13-2008 5:47 PM In reply to

• Diana Neanover
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7

I've loked at BB4698 and I am still unclear about the posted and not posted part and how all of it integrates with FE.  When I mark the posted or not posted, is that talking about the original gift that I am adjusting or the adjustment itself.  When I enter gifts, I always enter them as not posted, then once a week, our Finance Department will go into RE and post all of that weeks gifts to the GL if we have balanced.  After she does that, the gifts change to "posted" so if I adjust a gift before it is "posted" by Finance, do I mark that box as "not posted" and then if I need to make an adjustment after they have posted for the week, I mark it "posted" OR does it relate to the adjustment itself in that I NEVER post to GL, Finance always does that so if it is referring to the adjustment itself, I would need to always mark it as "not posted" then Finance would post the adjustment along with the gifts for the week.  Does that make any sense?  I guess I'm not seeing the benefit of having this software integrated.  I have printed out the integration information, and I'll try to read it again, but since I don't do any accounting and don't have an accounting background, its difficult for me to understand.  I was hoping someone else had a similar set up and could help me understand the benefit of the integration and as a side issue, how adjustments should be done since we are integrated.  It seems like the more I read about it, the more confused I become.  Help?????

Filed under:
  • 10-14-2008 12:30 AM In reply to

• JoAnn Strommen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • User Since: 2006
    • Posts 2,387
    • Organization: YMCA of Rapid City

For me - I do not change a gift status "posted" to "not posted"  - I believe that will cause problems.  My reply was referencing the adjustment to the gift, not info recorded with original gift.  On the gift adjustment screen "New Adjustment to..." You may run into several senarios:

• If the original gift is not posted, you have the option to put in a GL adjustment date and enter post status. This would usually be "not posted" as it has not been posted yet and you want it to be posted.  They default to today's date and not posted as that is usually the case.  The adjustment will post with the gift when your Finance Dept posts for the week, 

If the gift is not posted, some places may prefer to just delete the original gift record and re-enter it correctly.  Our policy is to adjust - provides a trail for me if there are questions later, for business office if they have questions, and good auditor support for their examination.

• If the original gift has already been posted, you have the option to put in a GL adjustment date and enter post status and to check the  "Use adjustment GL post date for the reversal GL post date"  - My understanding of this is: When do you want adjustment to appear in your financial records?  If financial reports are done for the time period of the original gift, do you have a way to adjust them as of that past date? We do not.   I would check with your Finance Dept as to when they prefer.  My entries I believe have all been for 'today' or 'yesterday' type of thing. 

You may need be sure Finance Dept knows adjustment is there so they can watch for it when they process posting for the week.  We had a business manager last year who was not very competent at FE or RE and I have since found adjustment that were made that never got posted.  We are still in process of audit and cleaning up mess he left. 

Diana, if your Finance office is going to enter in FE all gifts/donations as well as you entering them in RE, I'm not sure what you benefits would be from integration.  You are duplicating one another.  All of ours are only entered in RE and then posted to the GL in FE.  Business dept looks at totals from RE and compare to bank deposits to see if we balance.

JoAnn Strommen
    YMCA of Rapid City
    Rapid City, SD
  • 11-10-2008 5:09 PM In reply to

• Diana Neanover
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7

I'm sorry, I was wrong.  Our finance department does not re-enter the gifts.  They do post from RE, but for some reason my adjustments are not going through to FE.  We think that is because of the query set up to post to FE.  It excludes GIK gifts and picks up all "not posted" so is there someplace else that needs to be marked/unmarked to pick up the adjustments that are listed as "not posted" so they will post with the gifts to FE?  I am not familiar with FE, but could I be marking something wrong on the adjustment that is keeping the query from picking it up to post?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)