Welcome to Forums Sign in | Join | Help | Forums
in Search

Reconcile A/P Aging to G/L

Last post 03-30-2009 4:17 PM by Kate Kelsay. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-22-2004 11:29 AM

• Tim Mack
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Organization: Oregon Museum of Science & Industry

I am having problems each month reconciling the A/P aging to the G/L account (Accounts Payable). We have verified that all transactions hitting the G/L account come from the A/P module. However, each month the difference between the two changes. There are so many transactions involved that it is difficult to trace each one through. Anyone else having this kind of problem?
  • 01-22-2004 7:17 PM In reply to

We have had a few problems reconciling a/p to the general ledger at the end of the month, but most of the time we do not have a problem. When we have had problems, it is almost always due to a problem with dating. For instance, if you input an invoice with a 2/1 date, but pay it with a check dated 1/31, you will create a discrepancy between the systems, because the general ledger account will reflect the payment but not the invoice.
  • 01-23-2004 9:18 AM In reply to

We have many clients who use the invoice date as the posting date, so they're one and the same....while it may not be 100% as far as exact dates go (if a 2/1 invoice needs to be posted in January, they'll change the invoice date to a January date), it sure makes reconcilation easier! The other thing to keep an eye on when you create your open or aging ap listing, is the dates you select. The posting date is really the date by which you are reconciling. All other dates should be left to include all dates. For example, using the invoice with a date 2/1/04 but it was posted in 1/31/04, if you select your open listing for all invoices posted through 1/31/04 AND invoices dated through 1/31/04 it will not pick up your 2/1/04 invoice. If you h owever leave the invoice date field to include all dates, it will pick up that 2/1/04 invoice. For the field 'show invoices open as of___,' I would put a date out....for the example I am using, I'd use the date 2/29/04...since I also filtered by the post date of 1/31/04, it should only pick up those feb dated invoices that were posted through 1/31/04. Hope this helps!
  • 01-27-2004 10:37 AM In reply to

• Tim Mack
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5

Thank you, Ken. That was it!
  • 01-27-2004 10:37 AM In reply to

• Tim Mack
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5

Thank you, Ken. That was it!
  • 06-26-2008 1:40 PM In reply to

Re: Reconcile A/P Aging to G/L

Hi Bonnie,  I was reading all of the posts and 1) I work for a non-profit org. and the IRS has forced our auditors to be more deliberate when it comes to the books so it's important that the post date be for the month that the activity will take place regardless of when the check is cut so that I'm not having to separate payables each month recording prepaids and accruals 2) since making invoice and post dates the same is not an option for me how can I get the aged payables report to work for me.  In the module I select aging for i.e. 5/31/08 and post date as same.  The transaction and due dates are set to include all dates.  It's more than the GL every time I try to use it.  This question is not just for Bonnie...anyone who reads it I'd very much appreciate your feedback and help.

Theresa

• 03-30-2009 4:17 PM In reply to

• Kate Kelsay
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Organization: Lutheran Family Services of Colorado

Re: Reconcile A/P Aging to G/L

We have a number of payments we make each month (in our Refugee program) in which the invoice is dated in the next month but the check is written in the current month. In order to tie out the a/p each month, we run a g/l report, an open invoice report and a vendor activity report.  The first two use the standard format you'd expect.  The last one is run with a transaction date of Next fiscal period.  This report gives you both the post date of the invoice and the payment date of the check.  The total of invoices with payment dates in the current month but invoice posting dates in the next month gives us the difference between the g/l and open invoice report. Our auditors are happy with the way these three reports tie out each month. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)