Welcome to Forums Sign in | Join | Help | Forums
in Search

Wording on Honor/Memorial Letter & Acknowledgement

Last post 01-11-2006 1:48 PM by Lori Del Nero. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2006 3:55 PM

Does anyone have a sample of letters for the following scenarious that they would be willing to share:

a) Thank you letter to the giver of a memorial donation where the memorialee has been deceased for a greater length of time (a year or more). My current letter starts with "we are sorry for your recent loss...).

b) Acknowledgement letter to the family of the deceased to notify them of the above donation. Again, current letter refers to their recent loss.

If you would be so kind as to share, you can e-mail me directly at [Email Removed].

Thank you for your help! Lori Del Nero
    Administrative Assistant
    VNA/Hospice of Monroe County
    East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
    [Email Removed]
  • 01-03-2006 4:21 PM In reply to

• Sherrel Battles
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Organization: Christian Theological Seminary
    • Products:  The Raiser's Edge

This is my first post. Thanks to all those posters who have given me such great advice! Our standard memorial acknowledgement reads “Thank you for your gift of $XX in Memory of NAME. Your gift to The Children’s Museum demonstrates your confidence in the museum’s ability to provide… (our mission statement)” then go on to tell them about the significance of their gift and its impact. No need to dwell on the deceased – the gift is a Memorial, but the purpose of the gift is forward-looking. (This is different if it is a bequest, of course.) Our standard acknowledgement to the family reads “A gift in Memory of NAME has been gratefully received from (NAME with address) This gift will be used in the best interest of the museum…” Again, no emphasis on the deceased, but on the future. Give the donor’s name and address, so the family can also acknowledge. We get annual donations in Memory of some folks – the same Memorialee year after year – so sometimes they’ve been dead a very long time. Sherrel Battles Development Manager The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis
  • 01-11-2006 1:41 PM In reply to

-The thank you letter to the donor says, "Thank you for your gift in memory of _______. We were pleased to send ______ an acknowledgement of the gift." We don't say anything like "we're sorry for your loss" because the donor usually isn't the person who has experienced the loss. They are usually a friend or colleague. -We send a card to the family that reads "In loving memory of ________, a gift has been made to the Jewish Funds for Justice by ____________." This most appreciated gift will help to fight the injustice of poverty in america. It's all kept very simple with few words. Erica Weinstein Development Associate Jewish FundS for Justice* New York Office (212) 213-2113 x46 *Combination of the Jewish Fund for Justice and the Shefa Fund - http://www.jfjustice.org  or http://www.shefafund.org
  • 01-11-2006 1:48 PM In reply to

Thank you to everyone for the ideas. I have adopted a similar "short but sweet" format for these letters. I read my original post and realized that I left out one detail - the thank you letter to the donor would be for someone who is a family member, but donates later in memory of the person - a neice, brother, child, etc. Our current letter to a family member starts is along the lines of "we are sorry for your recent loss and appreciate your consideration at this time". Sorry if I confused anyone, but what everyone suggested works just fine. I've been meaning to cut my wording down a bit anyway. Lori Del Nero Administrative Assistant VNA/Hospice of Monroe County East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania [Email Removed]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)