Welcome to Forums Sign in | Join | Help | Forums
in Search

'UN' Concatenate in Excel?

Last post 03-11-2005 9:03 AM by Tina Wilfer. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-04-2005 6:20 PM

Does anyone have a formula which will do the opposite of concatenate and take full names including titles and suffixes in a single column and pull them apart into several columns in excel -Title, Fn, MN, LN, Suffix- Not every name has a title and some titles inclue Mr. and Mrs. Not every name has a middle name, etc. I am trying to get this right so I have the formula for all the times I get data in this format. Melissa S. Graves Manager, Development Database & Direct Mail Planned Parenthood of Connecticut [Email Removed] 203-752-2804 *** Sorry my spelling stinks!
  • 03-04-2005 6:23 PM In reply to

• Tammy Metrovich
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 62
    • Organization: Dignity Health - St. Joseph's Foundation of San Joaquin

Melissa, Are you talking about taking TEXT TO COLUMNS? Tammy Metrovich Direct Mail and Database Coordinator St. Joseph's Foundation [Email Removed]
  • 03-04-2005 6:32 PM In reply to

I tried that but 'Pat Baker' and 'Mr. and Mrs. John J. Smith' would never result in Baker and Smith in the same column. Melissa S. Graves Manager, Development Database & Direct Mail Planned Parenthood of Connecticut [Email Removed] 203-752-2804 *** Sorry my spelling stinks!
  • 03-04-2005 6:34 PM In reply to

• Tammy Metrovich
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 62
    • Organization: Dignity Health - St. Joseph's Foundation of San Joaquin

You may want to go online to www.mrexcel.com . They have helped me in many situations when I can't figure out excel. They have a great forum. Tammy Metrovich Direct Mail and Database Coordinator St. Joseph's Foundation [Email Removed]
  • 03-04-2005 7:17 PM In reply to

Thanks. I posted there and I will give the techies the weekend to work on it and check back on Monday. Have a great weekend everyone! Melissa S. Graves Manager, Development Database & Direct Mail Planned Parenthood of Connecticut [Email Removed] 203-752-2804 *** Sorry my spelling stinks!
  • 03-07-2005 8:05 AM In reply to

If you get an answer, can you please either send me a link or forward the response?? I have the same problem and waste more time than I should on getting everyone into the same column. If there is an actual solution to this, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!!! Charisse Ethier [Email Removed]
  • 03-07-2005 8:13 AM In reply to

• Sue Eddington
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Organization: Combat Stress
    • Products:  Blackbaud NetCommunity, The Raiser's Edge

Hello If you get an answer to this problem please can you post it on the forum as I would love to know the answer! Many thanks Sue
  • 03-07-2005 9:03 AM In reply to

I have had to do this a number of times...there may be an easier way but this is what I do. 1. Make a copy of original data. 2. Insert as many columns as you have data between spaces. ie Mr. and Mrs. G. Smith Jr. add 6 columns. (I add a couple extra for insurance.) 3. Select the column you want to convert then go to 'Data' 'Text to Columns' and follow instructions. 4. The fun begins. Label new columns then sort the columns by First Name. 5. Scroll down and you will see all the First Names will be together then the next column over will be another group of First Names. I cut and paste into the 'real' First Name column. I go through this process until I have all the correct data where it belongs. It can take awhile but sure beats reentering data. 6. If this is confusing either call or email. Good luck and I'd love to know if there is an easier way to do this. Cecily Knepprath Development Officer Northeast Health Foundation 55 Tozer Road Beverly, MA 01915 978-236-1630
  • 03-07-2005 9:08 AM In reply to

• Tim Dwire
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 22
    • Organization: Sanford Health Foundation

I'm not sure what your data source is now, but if it's a query, can you query the fields separately from the start? If it's a canned report bringing back salutation, I guess this would not be an option. The other idea I thought I'd share is if you are able to get the constituent ID to come back with your original source. Then you could run a query on the side with the ID and all the fields in separate columns, export to Excel, and use a vlookup formula between the two reports. I hope this helps. Tim Dwire Sioux Valley Health System Foundation Sioux Falls, SD [Email Removed]
  • 03-07-2005 9:58 AM In reply to

I do the same thing but for large data files this is a hugely manual process with a lot of room for error. I am looking for something better. Melissa S. Graves Manager, Development Database & Direct Mail Planned Parenthood of Connecticut [Email Removed] 203-752-2804 *** Sorry my spelling stinks!
  • 03-07-2005 10:01 AM In reply to

The data source is not RE or else I certainly would have exported them correctly in the first place. These are data files others give us that we need to import into RE. When I can I ask for them to be separate fields but some of them that is how they exist originally. Melissa S. Graves Manager, Development Database & Direct Mail Planned Parenthood of Connecticut [Email Removed] 203-752-2804 *** Sorry my spelling stinks!
  • 03-07-2005 10:02 AM In reply to

I will absolutely post an answer if I get one. Melissa S. Graves Manager, Development Database & Direct Mail Planned Parenthood of Connecticut [Email Removed] 203-752-2804 *** Sorry my spelling stinks!
  • 03-07-2005 12:33 PM In reply to

• Gavin Gourley
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 163
    • Organization: Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest

I searched Google for "first last name parse freeware" and this is what I found. NAMECHOP parses single-field names into separate fields containing the individual parts of the names (punctuation retention is optional): http://www.semaphorecorp.com/nc/namechop.html  NameParser - Parses human name strings into separate first and last name strings etc. etc. http://www.shareup.com/NameParser-download-27385.html Gavin Gourley Global Partnerships 206-652-8748 [Email Removed]
  • 03-07-2005 12:58 PM In reply to

Melissa - Try solution BB12891. See if this works. It's quite lengthy, but it may be what you are looking for. Catherine L. Dohanyos Stewardship Coordinator Notre Dame College
  • 03-07-2005 2:14 PM In reply to

That solution is exactly the text to columns idea discussed earlier and is not what I was looking for. Thanks anyway. Melissa S. Graves Manager, Development Database & Direct Mail Planned Parenthood of Connecticut [Email Removed] 203-752-2804 *** Sorry my spelling stinks!
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >