Welcome to Forums Sign in | Join | Help | Forums
in Search

Entering Sphere credit card donations received via check from Blackbaud

Last post 03-15-2012 11:23 AM by Amanda Dahlin. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-16-2012 10:54 AM

• Kira Schmiedl
    • Not Ranked
    • User Since: 2010
    • Posts 19
    • Products:  Blackbaud NetCommunity, The Financial Edge, The Raiser's Edge

Entering Sphere credit card donations received via check from Blackbaud

We're using Sphere for the first time, and are having trouble figuring out the best way to enter donations.  Through the connector, all gift info comes over to RE and goes right to the constituent's record.  But, we don't actually recieve the gift as a credit card gift; instead we receive a check twice a month from Blackbaud for the total amount of gifts received in that two week period, minus the roughly 9% transaction fee. 

I can't figure out how to accurately enter this check gift into our system.  I usually use Gift Batch to enter all gifts, and I don't see how that can work for this strange credit card/check system.  My main concern is how this will all transfer to Financial Edge.  Usually with credit card gifts we enter the full amount of the gift in RE and then pay the transaction fee separately - no need to reflect transaction fee in RE.  But with the Sphere system, we never actually receive the full amount of the gift, so by entering the full amount our records will not accurately reflect what we've received, and our Raiser's Edge totals will differ from Financial Edge totals. 

Has anyone figured out a good way to handle this situation?  Thanks for any help or advice!

Kira Schmiedl
    Annual Fund Coordinator
    Spectrum Youth & Family Services
    Burlington, VT
  • 03-15-2012 11:23 AM In reply to

Re: Entering Sphere credit card donations received via check from Blackbaud

For our process, we never enter the check/ EFT from Blackbaud into RE. Each gift from a supporter is processed into RE as it comes over in the connector. Then when we recieve the statements, accounting enters the total amount of gifts on the statement, and a separate line item for the fees into thier system. (which is not the Financial Edge, I don't remember what it is called.)

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)