Welcome to Forums Sign in | Join | Help | Forums
in Search

Gift Fund in Honor/Memorial acknowledgement letters?

Last post 10-21-2010 8:58 AM by Laurel Quaintance. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-17-2010 1:23 PM

• Karen Burlingame
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • User Since: 2001
    • Posts 37
    • Organization: MultiCare Health System
    • Products:  The Raiser's Edge, The Researcher's Edge

Gift Fund in Honor/Memorial acknowledgement letters?

After ten years of using the tribute tab and the Mail to send honor/memorial letters, we all of a sudden have a rash of donors requesting that we include the gift fund in the acknowledgement to the family.  Gift fund isn't one of the available fields, that I can see.  Has anyone come across this request?

Karen Burlingame, MultiCare Health System
    Donor Systems Coordinator
    Tacoma, Wash.
    karen.burlingame@multicare.org
  • 10-17-2010 4:27 PM In reply to

• JoAnn Strommen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • User Since: 2006
    • Posts 2,387
    • Organization: YMCA of Rapid City
    • Products:  The Raiser's Edge

Re: Gift Fund in Honor/Memorial acknowledgement letters?

I may be out in left field - is your "gift fund" the same as your fund?  If it is it looks like under Mail > Honor/Memorial Acknowledgements > Fields to Include tab > Gifts > Fund description is an option. 

If your gift fund is not the same name as the fund, is it possible to use 2 fields together - Hon/Mem Tribute Type and Hon/Mem Description?  I maybe grasping at straws.  I've only been looking at Tribute module in sample database as we don't have it yet and have been looking at how it could be used.

Just thinking of possibilities...

JoAnn Strommen
    YMCA of Rapid City
    Rapid City, SD
    Filed under: ,
  • 10-18-2010 8:14 AM In reply to

• Nina Williams
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • User Since: 2008
    • Posts 390
    • Organization: Cleveland Institute of Art
    • Products:  The Raiser's Edge

when we have a "Gift Fund" that is different that the actual fund, I write the name in the reference line of the gift.  An example, alum john smith dies and we are listed in the obit.  The family has requested we use all gifts for the :John Smith Memorial Scholarship in Glass.  However, our bylaws have the requirement of a total of $25,000 to become an endowed fund.  So All giftsin tribute to John Smith go in a general scholarship fund with the "reference" of the John Smith scholarship in glass.  That field can be pulled on the donor acknowldgement.  We also can keep track of how much is given, and then designated the sum to a specific student as a scholarship.  We also have a Tribute holding fund for when the family has not decided what they want to do with the gifts.  Then when the family does decied the money can be moved.  For that I duplicate info in that I write in the "reference" box IMO John Smith.  That line will transfer to the acknowledgement.

Nina Williams
    The Cleveland Institute of Art
    www.cia.edu
  • 10-19-2010 6:03 PM In reply to

• Karen Burlingame
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 37

Thank you for your reply--looks like that field is available when you select one letter per each "per gift" instead of "per tribute."  We do one letter per tribute, listing all the donors on a sheet.  Looks like I need to play around some more.  Thank you again!

Tacoma, Wash.
  • 10-19-2010 6:09 PM In reply to

• Karen Burlingame
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 37

Thank you for your reply.  We do include the fund on the letter to the actual donor (and we too have the workarounds you mention for endowments that haven't met their mark yet).  It's the letter to the family of the deceased that I'm struggling with. We sometimes get donations to several different funds, all in honor of the same person.  When I send a letter to the family, I just list the donors--not what each gift went to. Except in the case of endowments, as you mention here, I don't really see that the family needs to know what specific area of our hospital the donor requested the money support.

But I'm doing a pulse check--so please keep the replies coming! Thank you again.

Tacoma, Wash.
  • 10-21-2010 8:58 AM In reply to

We use the Hon/Mem letters under the mail function and then I print a custom report that I built in Crystal that is pretty much like the one under Tribute reports (List of contributors and their addresses) but adds in the fund name. We did this in response to having multiple Affiliates and it went a long way in educating the donors in our expanded areas (especially the newer ones) about our organization 

Laurel Quaintance
    Manager, Fund Development Services
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)