Welcome to Forums Sign in | Join | Help | Forums
in Search

Setting up all regional offices in one database or in multiple databases

Last post 07-07-2004 5:22 PM by Peter Saul. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-06-2004 6:40 PM

We have 9 regional offices located all over the United States. Each regional office issues its own checks. However, we only have one tax ID. We purchased the Financial Edge last year and would like to know whether we should setup all regional offices in one database or in multiple databases. If your organizations have similar structures, please share your experience with us. Thanks
  • 07-07-2004 11:15 AM In reply to

Our organization has multiple offices across the state of Ohio, however we have chosen to keep our administration/business department centralized. It would seem for audit purposes if nothing else a single database would be extremely helpful. Laurel E. Schafrath, MTax Boys' Village, Inc. PO Box 518 Smithville, OH 44677 (330) 264-3232
  • 07-07-2004 11:16 AM In reply to

We are also a multi-unit religious organization. I have BOTH multiple locations/databases and multiple units on one ledger. Our 4 Synod-owned schools (2 prep schools, a college and a seminary) each have their own database. Each writes their own checks from two different bank accounts (one for 'operating' funds; one for 'restricted' funds.) Here at the corporate office, I have the general Synod accounting, plus 3 subsidiaries (a Church Extension Fund, an Investment company and a foundation) on one database. Each sub has its own disbursement bank account, tho one AP Clerk handles all the invoices. She just writes checks from each of the 4 disbursement bank accounts as needed. The main issue with using one database for multiple units is that it necessarily adds complexity to your GL account structure. You will need to add a segment to your structure to distinquish between units on your ledger. An additional issue to consider is how many bank accounts to use. You can, provided your IT staff can set up a WAN for you, use just one disbursement bank account with mulitple input sites. Then one person at the headquarters site will print the checks on a predetermined schedule. Or you can continue to use multiple bank accounts on a single database and let each location print their own checks. I think, more than the AP consideration, you need to review where and how your actual "accounting" happens. Does each site prepare its own financial statements each month? Does the headquarters accounting staff prepare Consolidated statements on some regular basis? Is the management at each site autonomous? If you would like to discuss this in greater detail, please feel free to call me at 414/256-3275. Jan Janet A. Hickey Accounting Manager Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod Milwaukee, WI Phone: 414/256-3275 Email: [Email Removed] Website: www.wels.net
  • 07-07-2004 5:22 PM In reply to

Looks like you have received some great feedback. As mentioned, I would recommend reviewing each office’s reporting requirements, consolidated reporting requirements and flow of data entry. Does each office perform full accounting procedures and duties? Are you looking to streamline processes across offices? Would your organization us a single account structure or do individual offices have unique reporting and account structure needs? Here is some things to consider and additional background: You should consider a single database if: • you wish to streamline accounting procedures across offices • you have consistent reporting needs across offices met by a single chart of accounts • you have accounting entries that cross offices You can obtain efficiencies in purchasing, check writing, reporting and other areas. Multiple databases should be considered when: • each office operates independent of the other office • staff have no need to cross offices • accounting records are maintained at each office Two modules that are helpful for multiple offices include: Advanced Security to restrict users to specific accounts. You may restrict users to a single office if using only one database. Consolidation Management allows reporting across databases to roll up offices on reports. This is beneficial if using multiple databases. Keep in mind these are just general guidelines. Reviewing your specific needs and requirements provides insight into the best course to follow. Hope this helps. Peter Saul Capital Business Solutions Chicago * Raleigh * Atlanta 888-366-7527 Ext. 24 "2003 Blackbaud Business Solutions Partner of the Year" [i]--- Edited at 7/7/2004 5:37:59 PM by cbs[/i]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)